"Wisdom Begins in Wonder"
I (Kate Lawes, owner and operator) choose to take care of children as my job for a myriad of reasons ... foremost, because I believe in the precious and magical time that is childhood and find great joy in being part of nourishing their growth and development. The well being of your children is at the heart of my business and service. I believe:
• children learn through imitation, therefore I strive to be a role model worthy or this imitation.
• daily, weekly and yearly rhythm, support a child's life, learning and sense of security (rhythm, repetition, regularity are fostered through music & song, movement games, practical activities i.e. sewing, bread-making, painting, gardening and a consistent routine balancing rest and activity)
• play is children's work (I provide a balance between playing out their own initiative and working together as a group guided by the teacher/caregiver)
• in toys chosen for their open ended uses, possibilities and fantasy. Our toys are often handmade (sometimes by ourselves), good quality natural materials for a child’s developing senses
• in time out of doors everyday regardless of the weather.
• seasonal celebrations
• children deserve spaces that are beautiful, orderly, clean and as free from toxic substances as possible
• in mutual home/daycare support. Creating a bridge between home and daycare through a variety of means of communication and gatherings.
• that a well planned and supplied indoor environment and a safe outdoor environment can provide a child with all the opportunities needed for a child to thrive and develop mentally, physically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually.
• in the power of singing, working with natural materials, stories and humour
• in allowing time for children to create art and introducing the joy of hand work
• in community connection by enjoying places, spaces and the people that enrich them
• in making a healthy environment not only for the children but the educators that care for your children